Setting Positive Intentions
Happy New Year! Are you ready to welcome a new year of growth, possibility, and positive change? Me too! It might seem cliche and overdone, but January truly is the best time to create new goals and manifestations. But how did this custom come to be?
According to history.com, the Ancient Babylonians were thought to have been the first to make New Year’s Resolutions. During Akitu, a 12-day religious festival, a new king was crowned, or reaffirmations were made to the reigning king. Additionally, the Babylonians would make promises to the gods. If they followed through, the gods would favor them in the coming year. If not, they would fall out of favor with the gods. These promises are considered the predecessors to what we now call New Year’s Resolutions.
The resolutions we set today may differ greatly from the promises of the Ancient Babylonians, but one thing remains the same: whether it be 1978 BC or 2023 AD, humans still set goals for themselves on a regular basis. We have a deep desire to better ourselves with each year that passes. And that desire to move more in alignment with our highest selves can be put into resolutions.
There are a variety of ways you can set new intentions for yourself. Choices range from inner-focused, like meditation, to external expressions, like vision boards. One of my favorite ways to set positive intentions is by using a crystal grid.
Setting your positive intentions for the new year with a crystal grid incorporates two powerful things: crystals, which have an abundance of potential to initiate growth and change, and the act of writing new goals down. Research indicates that the simple act of writing down resolutions can help them manifest. Pair that with the magic of crystals, and you are on your way to making your dreams a reality!
Ready to manifest? Let’s get started:
You will need:
1 large Carnelian piece
4 Clear Quartz points
3 tumbled Citrine
3 tumbled Amazonite
6 tumbled Clear Quartz
1 green spell candle
Palo Santo/Smudging Stick
Pen and paper
1. Cleanse your crystals and grid with palo santo or your smudging stick.
2. Light your green candle.
3. On your piece of paper, write down three things you hope for in the new year. Think big! Now is the time to make your hopes and dreams come true. What is it that you want to invite into your life? Try to think about what you want to start or attract instead of what you want to stop or repel. For example, if you want to stop eating sweets, focus on what you will eat instead. Your intention might sound like, “I will eat healthy food that fuels my body and spirit.” You want to tell the universe what you DO want instead of what you DON’T want.
4. Fold your paper towards you three times. Hold your paper and visualize your wishes coming true. Be as detailed as possible; see yourself as already having these things in your life.
5. Place your paper under your Carnelian in the center of your grid. This stone promotes positive life choices and will help your dreams become a reality.
6. Add the four Clear Quartz points around your Carnelian to enhance and direct its energy.
7. Next, add your 3 Citrine for releasing negative traits and your 3 Amazonite for health in a circle around your Carnelian.
8. Place the 6 Clear Quartz in a circle around the Citrine and Amazonite. These will help bring clarity to your hopes and help them manifest.
9. Blow out your candle and leave your grid in a sacred space. You will want to revisit your intentions during the year.
Once you have completed the ritual, mark at least three dates on your calendar when you will revisit your goals. Do this *right away* so you don’t forget! When you revisit your resolutions, you can assess how you are doing on them and update or change them as needed. Additionally, you might want to write down your three intentions on another piece of paper to post in a high-traffic area so you can see them frequently.
Let me say how much I appreciate you being on this journey with me. I look forward to the year ahead and to helping you connect to your best selves!